Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Dave Semenko Autograph

When I started sending out autograph requests 2 months ago, I expected to have luck on maybe 1 in 5 requests. However, as it stands right now, I am seeing returns at a rate of about 1 in 2 which really could be higher as my first requests weren't sent out that long ago.

Dave Semenko was the last of the batch I received last week. Dave had two roles in the NHL
and a majority of fans certainly remember one of them, and that was to protect Wayne Gretzky. In addition to being an excellent enforcer, he could also find other ways to get on the scoresheet. He scored 37 goals in his final 68 Junior games and in the 83-84 playoffs (The first Cup of the Oilers dynasty) Dave scored 5 goals and 5 assists in 19 games.


This card is from the 82-83 OPC set. No need for a helmet with hair like that!

Dave's career was relatively brief. After winning two cups with the Oilers, he had played one season with Hartford and then his final season was with Toronto before retiring in 1988 at the age of 31. Dave is currently still with the Oilers organization as a member of their scouting staff. Looking at the current Oilers roster I would say he has done a pretty good job as the team is oozing with talent and potential. I don't think it will be many more seasons before there are some winning seasons in the "City of Champions"!


1 comment: