Friday, September 16, 2016

Has it been 35 Seasons Already?

Back during the 1991-92 season, Upper Deck released a few 8.5 x 11 cards including this one below which is for Devils fans and commemorates their 10th anniversary in the NHL. I can't remember all the other cards released but as you can see from this one, fans at the Blackhawks vs Devils game on December 21st 1991 would have received one of these cards. I'm not sure what happened to any extras or if there were other ways to get this card but giveaways like these are always cool in my opinion. I looked the game up on Hockey Reference and it looks like they battled to a 1-1 draw.  

That was of course 25 years ago which would make this their 35th anniversary and I curious to see if the Devils do anything to celebrate that this season or if the rebuild means we will just continue business as usual and maybe have something worth celebrating in 5 years.



1991-92 Upper Deck Devils vs Blackhawks Commemorative All-Star Sheet /24000
What I like about this sheet is you get a bunch of cards pictured that weren't apart of the 91-92 Upper Deck Set. What I also love is they are in *All-Star uniforms and players like Walt Poddubny and John MacLean are getting a little love. This card was a must have for me and when I found it on eBay I threw a bid at it and was the only bidder winning it for 0.99 plus shipping! This card is now framed in my office since it is a blank back card anyway and will soon be hanging on the wall once I finish decorating my office.


*Worth pointing out, if you look closely at the photos, the colour of the players gloves gives you an idea which team they were actually playing for in the NHL during the time the photo was taken. Walt was with the Leafs for example or Stastny was with the Nords.

6 comments:

  1. Those were some SWEET All Star jerseys. I wish the NHL never dropped their orange and black logo.

    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e4/NHL_Logo_former.svg/996px-NHL_Logo_former.svg.png

    They can say all they want about the direction the letters are going and other corporate BS - that's a classic and far nicer than the current, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't agree with you any more Jeff! I actually have an old Campbell All-Star jersey of Wayne Gretzky (not game worn) and its one of my favourites in my collection by far. I understand the need to modernize at times to generate more sales etc, but I think they had it right with that logo!

      Delete
  2. Really nice piece Dave. If they had something like that for the Whalers I'd be all over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If there was a Whalers one I would have had it sent straight to you! I did some digging just to be sure and sadly there isn't any.

      Delete
  3. This looks familiar...I think my wife might have one of these. Her family had Devils season tix for about 15 years. Either way, it's a pretty cool piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Hopefully you can dig it out sometime and enjoy it in person.

      Delete